If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (631) 563-1709

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What Not to Do When Cleaning Mold

5/8/2023 (Permalink)

The Risks of Cleaning Mold on Your Own

Mold is no laughing matter when it comes to your family's health and your home's safety. It's important to remember that mold remediation is not a DIY project. Attempting to remove mold on your own can further damage your humble abode and potentially harmful exposure to you and your loved ones. 

Here are a few common DIY practices that homeowners should reconsider.

Common DIY Mold-Cleaning Practices to Avoid

Using Bleach

First, never use bleach as a way to clean mold. While bleach can be effective on non-porous surfaces, it is not on porous surfaces like drywall or wood. Bleach has a high water content and can feed the mold, causing it to grow back even stronger. Furthermore, bleach can irritate the eyes, nose, throat, and skin and produce harmful fumes if mixed with other cleaning agents.

Painting Over the Outbreak

Another common mistake homeowners make is simply painting over mold without properly removing it first. This is a mistake for a few reasons: First, the visible mold is often only a small portion of the overall infestation. By painting over it, you are only disguising the problem and not addressing the root cause. Additionally, painting over mold can seal any moisture that may be present, allowing the mold to continue growing behind the paint, causing even more damage.

Not Wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

Finally, attempting to remove mold without the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) is a dangerous mistake. Mold releases spores that can cause various health issues, including respiratory problems, eye and throat irritation, and even skin irritation. It's essential to wear gloves, a respirator, and other protective equipment while dealing with mold to prevent exposure to these harmful spores.

Why DIY Mold-Cleaning Techniques Should Be Avoided

Understandably, homeowners would want to tackle mold removal themselves. However, not only can this often be dangerous and ineffective, but it can also make the problem worse. For example, a homeowner may inadvertently spread mold spores to other home areas while attempting to clean the mold.

In addition, with proper training and experience, homeowners may be able to identify the full extent of mold infestation. This can result in the mold returning or growing worse over time.

Why Professional Services Are Your Best Option

It's important to remember that mold remediation is not a DIY project. Mold remediation requires a trained and experienced professional with specialized equipment to quickly and safely remove mold. SERVPRO of Oakdale is here to help with all your mold remediation needs in Suffolk County, NY. We have the training, equipment, and expertise to safely eliminate mold from your home and prevent it from returning.

Our experts are trained in the latest techniques for safely and effectively identifying and removing mold infestations. We use advanced equipment to detect the presence of mold and to quickly and efficiently remove it from your home. Additionally, we take extra measures to ensure that your humble abode is free from mold, including conducting thorough inspections and cleaning the area.

Professional Mold Remediation in Suffolk County, New York

Don't put your family's health and safety at risk. Contact SERVPRO of Oakdale today to schedule your mold remediation appointment.

Other News

View Recent Posts